Monday, March 14, 2011

Magic of Coffee

A Day in the Life - First Sip colorpencils 

South Indian Kaapi is very special and a matter of pride in that region. I had never known coffee was not native to India until I came across its origins in the menu-card in  an Ethiopian Restaurant in New York many years ago. Imagine my surprise-especially since my grandparents are from Coorg, the coffee capital of India :) I spent many a vacation with them and trips are all full of memories of fragrant white coffee flowers and red berries under a canopy of rubber trees. I often wondered about the coffee's debut in India since then but never pursued it.

Today  I finally went sniffing the coffee trail. I came upon the story of Baba Budan, a Sufi Muslim from India who brought back seven seeds as a souvenir from his trip to Mecca in  1720 and planted them outside his cave in the hills now known as Baba Budan Giri.  The coffee plants and the drink took a foothold in the area. The Coffee plantations soon became an industry under the British. 

I brought with me from India the traditional coffee filter to make the 'kaapi' and for many many years now my day has started with the ritual of drinking coffee in the special stainless steel 'lote'.  My hubby grinds the coffee beans fresh every time just before making the 'decoction' and that adds to the flavor :)  For the curious, check here for  recipe and ritual of south Indian kaapi.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a pretty, colorful, creative drawing! I love your coffee art, and I love the little article about the origins of coffee and your own background. Very nice post! I enjoyed it!

Heera said...

The steel "Lotte" makes all the difference I think. It brings out the flavor better? Brings back very fond memories to me too.

I like your drawing too. Cute mug and mat under it. The bubbles on the surface look yummy.

Sanctified Spaces said...

Lovely aromatic post.

Meera Rao said...

Thank you, Katherine! For something that has been in India only since late Eighteenth century, coffee has a pretty prominent place in the areas cuisine and culture!

Meera Rao said...

@Heera, Thanks! May be you will stop by next time --and have a cup ? I always have decoction ready :).

@Sanctified Spaces - Thank you very much. You think someday we will have the option of checking on the aroma as we read about it in the internet?

Hema Penmetsa said...

I love researching/learning the origins of traditions and words. Thanks for this tidbit about coffee, Meera!

Love the eclectic style of the color sketch -- now I have to go make a cuppa right away for myself! :)

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Hema :) The eclectic style is to fit the 'fiction project' requirements -51% writing... not sure how that will be achieved but I am trying!!! Enjoy your cuppa.

padmaja said...

It makes a wonderful and colorful poster on your kitchen wall Meera!
As far as the "filter" kapi goes..next time when you visit Bangalore, check out on Mayya's coffee!

Meera Rao said...

Padmaja, thanks! and poster-thats a thought except the piece is 8x5" and is in the Fiction Project Journal :( - I will have to use my scanned picture! Mayya's - is that the new place by MTR people at Jayanagar?

:) said...

Very nice sketchbook work.

Meera Rao said...

Thanks @art.... I appreciate your comments.

Kathy Staicer said...

Your sketchbook is growing in leaps and bounds. Your sketches get better all the time.

Meera Rao said...

Thanks Kathy. There is something to be said about sketching regularly :)

Thaikaden said...

I like the 'kappi' bubbles.

Meera Rao said...

Than you @Thaikaden :) - an important part of Kaapi !

LamoreAllure said...

Hello, my name is Linda and I'm doing the Art House Co-op's Fiction Project just like you. It is quite a challenge. I was surprised at how thin the pages are. I find that the ink shows through the paper very easily. I had expected the pages to be higher quality.

This project is quite daunting for me since I've never even made an altered book before. My usual writing style is non-fiction.

Anyway, I love your artwork, and thought I'd say "hello." I paint, write, create jewelry, and upcycle jeans and clothing into eco chic accessories. I guess, I'm also a bit of a creative adventurer.

I hope you have a minute to visit my blog, and I'd be honored if you follow me, too. http://www.LamoreAllure.blogspot.com

Good luck with The Fiction Project!
Warmly...Linda L

Meera Rao said...

Linda, thank you very much - you made my day! I am enjoying the project even though I am fretting a lot too :) I finally have decided to just go with the flow and remember its a sketch book and not full scale compositions and painting. I too am not changing the look of the book -just sketching and writing --that is challenging enough for me :) I am looking forward to checking your web site and for continued blog friendship.

Teresa said...

This is a fabulous piece of art, Meera! I love the composition, the colors and the theme (coffee!).

Meera Rao said...

Teresa, thank you very much -- I had fun doing this :) Its different to do a sketchbook than coming up with a composition for painting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...