Saturday, July 13, 2013

To See Things in the Seed

2013 India sketch Journal Page 7 by Meera Rao


2013 India sketch Journal June 19 by Meera Rao

To see things in the seed that is the genius -Lao Tzu

The fiery red African Tulip blossoms eventually are but solid woody seed pods that fall into the earth and disperse.  The pods look like brown wooden bouquets on the tree and resemble little boats when they separate and  fall off.  There are still occasional red flowers around and a couple of days ago my Sister-in-law found one on her walk and brought it home for me to paint :)  I think it is wonderful that I have so many people around me now making sure I sketch something everyday! My niece the other day said that when she is out on an errand often finds herself wishing I was there with her to catch a scene that she knows I would love to paint :) It is so cool how they are all acquiring what I call 'sketching eyes' ! 

2013 India Sketch Journal June 20 by Meera Rao

An important chore that has to be done in most households before the rice for the day is cooked is to sort the rice for stones, husks, dirt, bugs etc before washing and cooking because who wants to bite into a stone and may be even loose a tooth! The wicker tray or 'mora' needs a certain knack to use -- it is open on one side and rice is tossed over and again with panache - only rice stays close to the edged side and the husks are  blown off from the rimless side. It takes years of practice to use it  right. Here is a video of a woman using a similar tray except it is round to sort rice .  I see from my third floor balcony the lady  who lives across the road do this every day and that is why the sketch shows the view of her from above :) I on the other-hand, put the rice on a plate and do a once over. I have not attempted anything more fancier than that :)

20 comments:

Introverted Art said...

I love the woman... beautiful.

Yvonne said...

Very interesting, Meera. I didn't realize you were in India right now. I look forward to seeing more. I think that sketchbook is a great idea.

Meera Rao said...

@introverted art , me too - and thank you !

Meera Rao said...

Thanks Yvonne :) been here over a month now - and doing my best to sketch each and every day !

padmaja said...

Nice to hear that your family motivates you to put more and more in to what you love to do, the sketch of the woman with mora and Akki is so good.. Now what may be your next target:-)

Crystal Cook said...

I truly love seeing these sketch pages Meera. :) It is so fascinating to me. And I love what your niece said, how cool that they are all thinking like that!

AK said...

Both are lovely. The posture of the lady has been accurately captured. Keep going.

Lisa Graham said...

Always so much wonderful culture to take in when I come see you here Meera. I love that you are contagious with your family! Your sketches are so great as usual! I wish I could just thumb through an entire book sketched by you.

Krishna/കൃഷ്ണ said...

i like grandma's painting...

thanks

Meera Rao said...

Thank you, Padmaja :) lucky for me she was in that position for a few good minutes ! Who will be my next target? - that's usually a surprise for me too - he he

Meera Rao said...

Crystal , yes it's so cool too :) I love it when they give me ideas! Thanks for stopping by!

Meera Rao said...

Ak, thanks! That means a lot to me !

Meera Rao said...

Lisa, thank you very much! I had been meaning add a page on the blog for my sketchbook creations - no time yet ! Hope to someday make copies of them . But right now trying to squeeze in time to sketch !

Meera Rao said...

Krishna, I too am pleased I captured her intensity of work at hand! Thanks again for stopping by !

irinapictures said...

I like everything about this post: your two sketches, your everyday schedule, the support of your fans, the lines about life in India. Thank you Meera and please keep going!

Unknown said...

Your writing AND your artwork are both beautiful. One compliments the other, making your posts extra special. The posture of the woman is so perfect. That's really nice that your niece thinks of you when she sees a scene she likes.

Sadami said...

Hi, Meera, thank you for the wonderful drawing and the interesting post full of love. I do have rice, but buy from shops. I'm sure a woman's deep love for family enables her to do such work everyday.
Best wishes, Sadami

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Irina, your words warm my heart :)

Meera Rao said...

Thank you Katherine, comments like yours keep me going:) i really appreciate it!

Meera Rao said...

Sadami, I like what you have to say about the woman - and I think you are right! Love for the family, love from the family is what keeps us going, no?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...